[meteorite-list] Meteorite hunting in Mexico: DON'T DO IT.

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:34:34 -0700

Bill opined:

> I've spent a lot of time in Mexico. The best produce, fruits and veg,
> on the continent. It's kind of like the way the US was 50 years ago.
> People there won't settle for inferior goods like we do now. Never
> had a problem. I guess I don't watch the news enough.

No, evidently you don't. If you're literally "dying" for a good
tomato, then I suppose Juarez or Tijuana would be a great place to
visit. The MetList is no place to discuss international politics or
socioeconomics, but it ~is~ certainly appropriate to discuss issues
related to meteorite recovery in foreign countries, including the
risks in doing so. There are a number of countries in the world that
one would be very ill-advised to visit under any circumstances, let
alone meteorite hunting. Mexico is ~relatively~ safe in popular
tourist destinations (e.g. Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Mazatlan, and
to a lesser degree Puerto Vallarta). Unfortunately, these are not
the areas where meteorites are likely to be found.

--Rob