[meteorite-list] Thin Section / Micro-photography Update.

From: Richard Kowalski <kowalski_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:16:39 -0700

I'll like to start off by thanking those of you who have offered assistance to
me while I was setting up my microscope and working out the kinks.

I'd also like to apologize for that funky looking SRPoD recently.

Privately, Anne Black made a polite comment about the focus. I agreed about the
problems but commented back that's about as good as it gets. Her comment
bothered me enough to make look deeper into my setup and I found a few things
that weren't quite right and were causing severe distortions. Needless to say
I've resolved the easiest ones, which were causing the worst effects.

The event also motivated me to put in a foundation of basic pages for my
microphotography, both thin sections and biologic specimens online, so I have a
little more control over them than I do on other sites. The pages will never be
polished.

You can access my new and improved meteorite thin section photography at:
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~kowalski/microscopy/meteorite_thin_sections.htm

I currently have 9 Pena Blanca Spring images up and 7 of the R4, NWA 5426

Partly because I'm still working out bugs in my setup and I want to really see
the errors that are left, many of my images are processed to bring out the
maximum detail. You may not like the way those images are processed. I also have
some that are adjusted for aesthetic reasons and may not be "scientifically
accurate".

Note that the full res images are between 2 and 4 meg in size each, so once you
click on the link to the image, be patient if you have a slow connection.

I'd be interested in hearing from experienced microscopists who have suggestions
on ways to resolve the optical aberrations.

The other areas of the microscopy section are live, mostly incomplete, but might
be useful or interesting to others.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

--
Richard Kowalski