[meteorite-list] Finding fossil Meteorites

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:57:51 -0600

All the finds have been Ordovician, because the evidence is that they came
from a single event, which resulted in an approximately 100-fold increase in
the meteorite fall rate, lasting for 1-2 million years. In any other
sedimentary material, you'd expect only 1% as many fossil meteorites- and
the number even in the Ordovician material is very small.

I'm sure there are other types of meteorites trapped in sedimentary layers,
but the likelihood of actually finding one must be extremely small.

Just consider how much ground you have to cover to find a meteorite, and
then imagine that you are covering a sedimentary bed.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com