[meteorite-list] metachondrite

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:57:53 +0200

Hi,

>Time will tell if it catches on.

I suppose it will,
because to list these stones as Achondrite-ungr or Achondrite-prim. is very
unspecific
(and as far as I can rate it as a sheer layman, also sometimes somewhat
misleading),
while the metachondrite concept is very coherent.

Of course it can take some time.
(If you remember e.g. that the Bulletin still has with the lunaites only the
very coarse discrimination in LUN-A and LUN-B, as we would still be in the
time, where there were only the 2 DaGs and NWA 032.)

Btw. these new results and that interesting topic about the additional
7ers/chondritic PACs/Metachondrites came on the table or was incited, as
far as I can see, only and solely by means of newly found stones from the
hot deserts.

Hence another perfect example, why all, also in the MetSoc, should take care
for keeping the deserts open.
It helps a lot!

Best!
Martin