[meteorite-list] Metachondrite(s)

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2010 06:28:31 UT

Good morning Steve, Greg and List,

Greg S. wrote: "I understand a metachondrite to be a chondrite that has undergone
metamorphism resulting in recrystalization. The composition is much the same as
in the original chondrite. There are different affinities, such as 'H' 'L' or 'LL'.
I think there are others including E's and 'C' chondrites."

That's right. One further, important aspect is that they are all virtually without
(relic) chondrules, devoid of chondrules with a few minor exceptions. See here:

http://www4.nau.edu/meteorite/Meteorite/Metachondrites.html#En

Best morning wishes,

Bernd