[meteorite-list] Free Mooresfort Paper Download

From: Mark Grossman <markig_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:31:07 -0400

Hi,

I'm not sure this got through the first time - it was sent by mistake in
rich text format.

I just learned that for the next month, Royal Society publications can be
downloaded for free.

Back in August, I posted a note about a publication of mine that will appear
in the December 2010 issue of Notes & Records of the Royal Society about how
the Mooresfort meteorite led to one of the biggest battles in the history of
chemistry.

So if you would like to obtain a copy free of charge, go to the following
link:

http://rsnr.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/firstcite

and scroll down towards the end of the page until you see July 28, 2010 and
the following article:

'William Higgins at the Dublin Society, 1810-1820: the loss of a
professorship and a claim to the atomic theory' by Mark I. Grossman.

You can then click on the "Full Text" download pdf link and obtain a copy.

If you think that the Mooresfort meteorite is historic, wait until you read
the article to see just how historic it really is! It led to one of the
greatest battles in the history of chemistry, that is, the debate between
William Higgins and John Dalton over priority for the atomic theory.

In any event, if you have a chance to take a quick look, you might find it
somewhat intriguing. As I mentioned, the paper is scheduled to be published
in the December issue, but it can be downloaded for free now.

Thanks.

Mark

Mark Grossman
28 Cypress Lane