[meteorite-list] OT: Einstein on dowsing

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 00:36:35 +0200

Yes, cause we in Germany are sometimes more practically thinking, hehe.
(That's why we never will have a meteorite law...).

Folks, it's a little bit funny,
when I follow that thread, I get the impression, that some think, that
Einstein was once fallen from sky,
as an inerrant saint.
(Though I confess, that one of his achievement was ingenious - to find out,
that standing up in the early morning prevents brilliant ideas).

What do you expect? He like everyone else was a child of his times.
He occupied himself with electro-magnetic fields, which was quite new then
ect.
Beginning on from such scurrile things like the mesmerists et al. fields,
magnetismus, fluids, aether ect. was part of the pop culture.
So why the heck, it's so unthinkable, that he once said, hmmm dowsing,
sounds interesting?

Look, dunno, Kepler - he spent a lot of his time awake, in making that old
Islamic/medieval weather forecasts by astrology.
And so what? With Kepler we're flying to the Moon, and despite he made his
astrology and his weird conceptions of radiations of the planets,
the satellites don't fall down on our heads.

Gosh, at Einstein times, it was scientifical knowledge, that smoking is
healthy or people sniffled pure ozone, because science told them, that this
irritant would be so good for their constitution.

And as we would be soooo enlighted today.
Look, we believe for decades now in such cabalistic things like the
body-mass-index. Tenth of thousands of studies, and each (only the older
not) doc, tells you, uuuh if you over the norm value, your risk for stroke,
for infarct, for diabetes and what the heck grows so strongly - shortly:
youuu gonnaaa die!!
Well others, took soberly all long-term studies they could get, and found
out, statistically - ooopsie, those who have some fat on the ribs, are
living on average somewhat longer. Those, who would be according all the so
scientifically founded index somewhat to fat and who would have to die
earlier.

Or take the acupuncture. Some historians of science found out, that quite
all that, which is the content of the official educational books, which an

professional acupuncturist or a med, who wants to acquire that additional
qualification, has to learn,
was freely invented by a French charlatan.
Funny thing, sometimes it works.

So where is the problem with that dowsing.
It's not necessary to have for all a mechanistic explanation - just one
rule: Pay your dowser only in case of success :-)

Look, other example. Here in Bavaria and also in Austria, the houses in da
mountains traditionally were built of wood.
So, till today you can ask anybody constructing with wood or anyone who runs
a saw mill or any carpenter,
they cut the trees only in a week of certain Moon phases.
We enlighted minds smile about, we know, the Moon can't have an influence,
gravitation we know, that effect you can forget, remains light,
But in cloudy nights it's as dark as in the night of new moon.
So. But they say, that wood we cut in the wrong two weeks, it doesn't dry so
well or it takes so much longer until it's dry.
And it gets later much faster brittle.
Houses here have to brave a harsh climate, usually after 30-40 years, you
have to exchange at least the face,
but the old houses last 200 years or even much longer.
Why the heck, should I believe, that all these people are stupid or
superstitious?
I don't know nothing about wood. They're doing that for hundreds of years.
Why? Simply because it saves them a lot of money.

Hence, I see no problem with that.

A scientist would, before he even could think about an explanation, have to
make some serial tests,
to see what happens with da wood cut at any time.

Nja and here we have a problem,
no scientist would ever risk to burn his reputation in doing such studies,
cause he would be laughed at by his fellows.

My problem is more, if about such results, then a pseudo-scientific system
is imposed on,
..in the end for the purpose to dip into the burse of the people - because
then it starts to become criminal.
Hence all that, what we see with that esotericism, "wellness" ect...
(uuh in 2 weeks we can enjoy that bullsh.. on the Munich show again. Two
years ago, hehehe, there were sold en masse egg whisks, cut open a the end,
for putting on your head for stimulating your shakra...the "chi-stimulator".
Honestly even in the darkest ages nobody would have bought such a rubbish).

Simple example, coming back to the lumberjacks. Several years ago, there was
suuuch a hype in Germany.
A woman from Austria - she took the most primitive counting-out rhymes from
medieval/islamic astrology, and wrote some books, a la Living with the Moon,
the Moon calendar.. recommending at which Moon phases you have to clip your
toe-nails, when you have to go to the dentist, or to the coiffeur,

And sold it to the people as oooold secret knowledge of the even oooolder
Tyrolian mountain farmers.

And she made millions.

Skol!
Martin