[meteorite-list] AD: Unbrecciated Aubrite! NWA 6350 prov Shallowater......

From: Chladnis Heirs <news_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 13:59:14 +0200

Hi Greg,

many thanks for the congrats!

Of course, 34 years Antarctic campaigns and only 2 different aubrites found
there; 20 years Sahara and 10 years Oman, also only 2 different aubrites...

But not only due this absurd rareness, that little stone is in our internal
VIP-meteorite-ranking settled quite near the top,
it's moreover the characteristics of the material itself!

We confess, that our Ad was a little bit inapt, as probably only the experts
recognized immediately, what we have there.

In fact it would have been easier and sufficient, just to write two
catchphrases:

                  UNBRECCIATED & SHALLOWATER

You know, ALL aubrites were so far heftily brecciated, destroyed, shocked,
annealed, partially molten, partially morphed and metamorphed, brecciated,
brecciated and brecciated - with all the implications about their precursor
material, - El Haggouina's initially misclassification was no accident, melt
an E-chondrite and you get out something very similar to an aubrite - and
their possible parent bodies, small, large, differentiated, chondritic,
catastrophic collisions, regolith formation,... in space one is looking,
Steins or the Hungaria-Family ect. pp.

ALL but one. Shallowater!

The one and only "originally" preserved aubrite - the unbrecciated one.

And Shallowater was soooo alone.
So alone, that in former times, it got even a suffix "-an" added behind the
"AUB":

Now Shallowater got a little sister and a little brother: NWA 5217/6350.

And it's amazing. We read, that the little enstatites in Shallowater hadn't
grown randomly in all directions, but they show a preferred orientation,
which means they grew under gravitational influence - which in turn means,
that the parent body have had to be fairly large. >100km.
It's always astonishing, what you can read out from such a little stone.

See, Shallowater looks in several ways similar to NWA 6350.

TCU-specimen, photo Geoff Notkin:
http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/get_original_photo.php?recno=5637847

Close-up - Hey Madame Anne has just two Shallowaters for sale!
(It's fairly&very difficult to get any.)
http://www.impactika.com/catpix/AA043.jpg

Small slice, we had once:
http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/shallowater-0.455g.jpg

...if you'd ask us, we would say, that NWA 6350 is maybe a slight idea
fresher than Shallowater.
(and it seems to be mineralogically also somewhat more interesting, but the
research isn't finished yet).

Well, and there we see it, even the most inveterate historics collector has
to admit,
in what for meteoritically happy & fantastic years we're living right now!

And again and again we can't only appeal and pray for reason among the
responsible persons,
that they keep the deserts open!! For such stones, see Antarctica, see NWA,
see Dho you need terrific large find numbers,
until once such a find will be among them. And really most researchers don't
want to play only with a handful of weathered new L6s or H5s
a year. MetSoc, scientists, collectors, curators - we all need your help,
that we won't destroy for ourselves all that, what we so laboriously,
but also so fantastically have built up these years.

It's only a pity, that NWA 5217 wasn't available and that NWA 6350 was such
a small stone too.
So to collectively answer all requests, it's sold out.
Though - cause it's a little bit unfair, that we explained the stone now a
little better:

There is still HOPE!

We still wait for the final o.k. by a researcher, for whom we had reserved
the 12.5g partial endcut:

http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/nwa6350-12.506g-end.JPG

http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/nwa6350-12.506g-end-2.JPG

We can't promise anything right now, because politeness requires to wait
still some days more,
but maybe maybe it will be free again and available.
So it's possible to secure an option on it, for that case.

At 60$/g - a tenth of the Shallowater price.
Desert made it possible.

All the best!
Martin & Stefan

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----