[meteorite-list] Clay meteorites?

From: Laurence Garvie <lgarvie_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:00:09 -0700

Using the definition that clays are phyllosilicate minerals with a grain size of <2 microns, then we already have lots of clay meteorites. The clay contents of the matrices of the CM2 meteorites is on the order of 70 to 80 vol% (see K.T. Howard, G.K. Benedix, P.A. Bland a,b, G. Cressey (2009) Modal mineralogy of CM2 chondrites by X-ray diffraction (PSD-XRD). Part 1: Total phyllosilicate abundance and the degree of aqueous alteration. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol 73, 4576-4589) and Orgueil around 80 vols % clay composed of serpentine and serpentine-saponite (see Philip A. BLAND, Gordon CRESSEY, and Olwyn N. MENZIES (2004) Modal mineralogy of carbonaceous chondrites by X-ray diffraction and M?ssbauer spectroscopy, Meteoritics and Planetary Science, vol. 39, 3-16).

Laurence Garvie
CMS
ASU