[meteorite-list] Try divining rods over a large iron

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 23:14:35 -0600

I don't think Einstein's understanding of magnetic, electrical, or
electromagnetic fields was appreciably greater than that of many other
physicists. Nor his knowledge of the "physics of everything in the
universe". Not that it matters, since he clearly isn't suggesting that
"divining rods" work through ordinary field mechanisms, but through "factors
that are unknown to us at this time". In other words, he has no idea. He is
simply speculating on how such a device might work (if, in fact, it actually
does). Why is Einstein a credible voice for something whose nature he can't
even speculate on?

Today, we know with a high degree of likelihood that they don't work,
because they have actually been tested scientifically. And we are in a good
position to say that if they were found to work, it would not be because of
fields we understand. After all, we have exquisitely sensitive instruments
for measuring those fields, and they certainly are not useful for detecting
underground water. Underground metal, of course, is readily detected with
instruments (as many here know!) And almost any physicist would be highly
skeptical about any assertion of fields we know nothing about, and which the
human nervous system responds to! That definitely falls into the
extraordinary claim category (i.e., the sort of claim that requires
extraordinary evidence).

I'd say Randi is a FAR better person to ask than Einstein, because unlike
Einstein, Randi has actually looked at the matter closely, examined
evidence, constructed and conducted well designed experiments.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com