[meteorite-list] Try divining rods over a large iron

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:14:52 -0600

List,
If someone out there with a baseball size or larger iron wouldn't mind
performing a little test with it I would appreciate hearing back from
them on how it turned out. To test what I had in mind you will need
to make a couple metal divining rods out of coat hangers or something
similar.
Starting with an overall length of wire about 24 inches, make a 90
degree bend at about 6 inches from one end. Hold the short ends
vertical, one in each hand and keep the long part close to horizontal
and move over the iron. Do this some place away from any other metals
and in an area where you don't get movement on the rods otherwise.
What I'd like to know is, when you do move them over the iron
meteorite, do they try to cross? Can you get movement on the rods if
you are standing up and the meteorite is on the ground? If not, how
close to you need to have the rods from the iron?

Thanks in advance to anyone giving this a try for me.
Mike in CO