[meteorite-list] Norways TV-astronomer KJR Ødegaard helps decovers Norways 2nd largest meteorite!?

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 12:44:32 -0400

Hi List,
Here is a Google translation of the story in English.

Sonny

15 years ago was a farmer Harold Skage on Hatlestrand move a stone that
was not where it should. But it was no ordinary stone that lay on the
ground.

- I lifted up the stone, but even if it was not so great it was so
heavy that barely managed to lift it, "says Skage.

He knew at once that there was no common stone that had fallen on his
farm.

- Because of the unusual weight, I got a gut feeling that this could be
something that came from heaven, "says Skage.

Hidden treasure
In about 15 years lay buried and forgotten stone outside the house in
Kvinnherad. It was not until Harald Skage mentioned it to the magazine
Bygdadr?so built this year, the news came out.

- It's unbelievable that the stone has been such a well-kept secret to
the media for so many years, "said Gerd Karin Mountain in Bygdadr?so.

St?len contacted astrophysicist Knut J?rgen R?ed ?degaard, who
immediately responded. He would like to take it very special stone a
closer look.

- Yesterday, he came here - and did equally well with the whole family.
They were all very interested and fascinated, "said Mountain.

- Norway History
Knut J?rgen R?ed ?degaard said that the discovery of about 59 kg is
historic.

- It is Norway's history if this proves to be an iron meteorite. This
makes it the second largest meteorite found in Norway ever, "he said.

The largest was found in Alta in 1902, and weighed 77.5 kg.

He is 99 percent sure that the rock is a meteorite, but can not
guarantee it until investigations are carried out on the
Mineralogical-Geological Museum at T?yen in Oslo.

R?ed ?degaard wife Anne Mette Sannes is also passionate about
meteorites.

- I had to come along to Hatlestrand to see for yourself, I was so
curious!

She finds it exciting that we do not know how long the meteorite has
been on the ground.

- Further investigations will determine the age of the stone, but for
all we know it may have been there since our ancestors, "she said.