[meteorite-list] International Shipping/Customs Questions

From: Matthew Martin <mmartin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 00:55:47 -0500

Hello Brian & List,

Thank you to all of you who chimed in to answer my questions. I
received many responses and appreciate you all taking the time to
personally respond to my inquiry...hopefully I didn't miss anyone and
you all received a response from me. I appreciate your willingness to
share your experiences and insights into the challenges of shipping
meteorites around the world.

The general consensus is to label meteorites as either a Mineral or
Geological specimen for study. Brian provides the code used by
customs below for this classification and would leave little room for
error on a customs agent's behalf (unless s/he felt nosey).

Marcin brought a good point into light which some have already
adopted, including myself. A few weeks ago I began changing the
return address name on my packages from Meteorite Treasures to MT to
make it more difficult for nosey individuals to figure out what's
inside.

Thanks to all who chimed in! You exemplify what the Metlist stands for!

Matt