[meteorite-list] Ultraviolet Space Rocks

From: David Gunning <davidgunning_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 08:13:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Laurence Garvie,

Thanks for filling-in some of the missing pieces of the minor puzzle
concerning your fascinating "Rocks from Space Picture" dated September
29, 2009.

Trace amounts of manganese (Mn) may certainly play a contributing if not
dominant role in explain the yellow colored fluorescence, as I understand
these things. That may not be, however, the entire story. According to
author Manual Robbins (FLUORESCENCE: Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet
light, 1994, Geoscience Press, Inc., Phoenix, Arizona), there may be some
sort of structural defect within the crystal structure, itself, which may
and can play a role in contributing to the fluorescence, also.

Wollastonite, from Franklin, New Jersey, fluoresces a brilliant yellow
color due to trace amounts of Mn, less than 0.1 percent. Lead, also, may
act as a co-activator in the wollasonite helping to provide absorption of
ultraviolet, according to Robbins.

Concerning your picture, again, for a moment. I'm curious if you exposed
your space rock to the two other main wavelengths of ultraviolet, UVB, or
medium wave at 315nm-280nm, or UVC shortwave at 280nm-100nm?

Still scratching my noggin over those secondary blue/green UV colors that
appear in your fascinating picture.

Any additional thoughts that might help explain that apparent UV color
phenomena?

Thanks for your time.

Dave Gunning