[meteorite-list] Ultraviolet space rocks

From: Laurence Garvie <lgarvie_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 21:28:03 -0700

I took the picture displayed in "Rocks from Space Picture of the Day" dated September 29, 2009.

I used a UV led flashlight with the primary output around 380nm.

Most minerals in meteorites do not fluoresce under UV light because of their high Fe content. The Fe quenches the fluorescence. The aubrites formed under low fO2 conditions and hence the pyroxenes have very low Fe (typically <350 ppm FeO). If I remember correctly, the color of the fluorescence may have something to do with trace amounts of Mn.

Laurence Garvie
CMS
ASU