[meteorite-list] Amateur Meteoriticists?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 20:05:12 -0700 (PDT)

HI Martin.

I wanted to add that on the whole I do not consider meteorite hunters "meteoriticists".

Now I want to be PERFECTLY CLEAR by what I mean here. I know that the field of meteoritics heavily depends on meteorite hunters, both professional and part-time, to find and bring in material for study, but as far as I know, in most cases they are not doing the actual research of this material. Now to qualify that statement. Photographing and recording the position of a new find is important, but that isn't necessarily "science" or make the data point recorder a meteoriticist.

Additional questions that need to be answered to raise the quality of this data can be what map datum was used to determine the position? What was the accuracy of this data point? How many other measurements of this location were determined and what were those accuracies? Is the reported position a single position, an average or a mean of all the measured locations?

Was the find made as part of a "random walk" or was the strewn field gridded? What was the length of each of the axes of the grid? How large an area was covered beyond the finds so as to determine the size of the strewnfield?

In my opinion these are just a few of the requirements that would help raise the level of a meteorite hunter to a "field meteoriticist". I know of several hunters that do hunt regions with some scientific rigor with a greater interest in the data they are obtaining that what they could potentially sell their finds for.

I am certainly NOT denigrating hunting for fun or profit. I only want to point out that just because you make a single measure of a find's location while gridding a strewnfield, and your data may in fact be very useful to the science, that does not necessarily raise your efforts to that of a meteoriticist.

Cheers

--
Richard