[meteorite-list] I know what it looks like...

From: Michael Murray <mikebevmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 14:51:42 -0600

Hi List,
Thought I would share a couple pictures of a recent questionable find.
I know, it looks like a piece of shrapnel. And it might just be.
I found it 6" down using my Gold Bug II. I was detecting an area
within a 40 acre parcel up in the pinions. It intrigued me so I put
it in my pouch and brought it home to check out.
I did a couple nickel tests on it and both times it produced a
strawberry red color on the swab that stayed longer than 5 minutes.
It doesn't seem to become a magnet
it weighs 12.4 g and after doing a bulk density weighing I came up
with a 7.75g/cc
I tried etching a small area on it but did not see a pattern emerge.
My test area might have been too small.
The piece shows many small cracks on it. It has obviously been
subjected to some pretty good forces to break it leaving such a small
jagged piece.
The shape isn't what I would consider typical for an iron; and the
little bugger smells strongly like metal when handled.
I soaked it in CLR for about 3 days so I could see what the surface
features looked like
It's interesting, especially under magnification. Makes me wish I
knew what it is. Oh well, another one for the possibles pile.
Mike in CO

<http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/mmurray_02/Sept262010Iron/IMG_1327.jpg

<http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/mmurray_02/Sept262010Iron/IMG_1329.jpg

<http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/mmurray_02/Sept262010Iron/IMG_1330.jpg