[meteorite-list] NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery (Was: Ice Meteorites From Jesus)

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:46:22 -0800 (PST)

I wouldn't get one's hopes up too much. If life was found I would expect more high level people involved.

Note the first paragraph:

"NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe. "

Specifically 'will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life' with "search" being the word that stands out to me.

Astrobiology covers many disciplines including physics, chemistry, astronomy, biology, molecular biology, ecology, planetary science, geography and geology. This announcement could involve any one of more than one of these.

While I still think the announcement will be of an interesting finding, I suspect anyone expecting the announcement that fossils were found in a meteorite, or anywhere else, will be sorely disappointed.

"Embargoed details" is not suspicious in the least. It is a common term used to say that information will not, or should not be released by those involved until official publication. In this case publication will no doubt occur coincident with the press conference.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography