[meteorite-list] Temperature of meteorites

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 09:22:09 -0800 (PST)

I recall an objective, quantified study of temperature history in meteorites
which proved something about the hot/cold debate and internal temperatures. One
of the Martians ( Zagami?) was studied for "magnetic domain orientation" in that
the evidence of a martian paleo-magnetic field might have been preserved. It
was. The study relied on the fact that the orientation of magnetite's "magnetic
domains" would be reset if the meteorite had been heated above 165?(c or F ?).
They had not if below 5mm

What was discovered ,was that the magnetite domains more than 5mm deep had not
been reset to Earth's magnetic field. What this says for internal temperature
in this meteorite: any and all heat build up to give the surface a "hot touch"
is restricted to roughly a zone 3-5mm deep. The thermal conductivity of
silicates is low and as was said ablation is a very effective means of keeping
the internal core temperature from rising at the expense of mass raised to the
melting point and whisked away.

I do believe that iron meteorites, having a higher heat conductivity
co-efficient will retain much more re-entry generated heat and could feel warm
several minutes. Otherwise I tend to believe the vignette reports such as those
of the firemen in New England that reported a rind of frost forming on the
broken meteorite as it lay under the dinning room table.

Elton