[meteorite-list] Temperature of meteorites

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:42:48 -0700

I'm not saying that every report is untrustworthy, nor am I saying there
aren't a wide range of actual temperatures. I'm just saying that witness
reports are almost always the least reliable source of accurate information,
and should therefore always be viewed skeptically. Given a long list of
reports, I'd expect most to be of low accuracy.

Meteoroids in space can easily be too hot to comfortably touch; assuming the
Kilbourn was initially large, and the recovered piece was hypersonic to a
low altitude (perhaps 10-15 km), I can easily believe it was hot when it
landed (although I doubt it was actually warm for three hours). As I noted
previously, I don't think there is any such thing as a typical meteorite
temperature. While most will probably be not far from ambient, many will
still range from below freezing to uncomfortably warm.

The wide range of actual temperatures, combined with the many variables that
influence perception of temperature, are what create the very different
reports we have about falls.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory