[meteorite-list] Lost City Fall Picture (was: Temperature of meteorites)

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 23 Nov 2010 11:31:24 UT

Larry wrote:

"I wish I could find the old Lost City fall picture of the meteorite
in snow. I do not remember seeing any melted snow around it, but it
must have been warm enough to attract a dog."

Hello Larry and List,

E.L. Fireman, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory - Sky & Telescope,
March 1970, The Lost City Meteorite Fall, pp. 154-158. Picture(s) on
p. 156:

"*Within minutes* after discovering the meteorite lying on a snow-
covered Oklahoma road, Gunther Schwartz took these pictures of it.
*Snow had melted* around the stone and showed its black crust."

Best wishes,

Bernd