[meteorite-list] Temperature of meteorites

From: m42protosun <m42protosun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 01:01:01 +0100

Hi,
after glowing off, the small size meteorites passes thru Stratosphere with temperatures of minus 60 ?C in winter and -10?C in summer. During their minute-flight thru the atmophere they warm up to normal temperature.

Only large objects which fly til the ground with hight supersonic speed (like Sikhote Alin) contact the ground with temperatures above 500?C.

What I will say, the temperature depends on the landing speed. If it is the normal velocity of fall of earth gravity the meteorite is cold, if it is supersonic speed, it could be very hot.

m42protosun

-----Original-Nachricht-----