[meteorite-list] NASA Announces Comet Encounter News Conference

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:37:17 -0700

Carl-

I'd argue that we have not captured MnSi from any comet. We have captured it
from the interior of interplanetary dust particles. Those particles were
collected during an influx of dust from one particular comet, and are
reasonably inferred to be constituents of that comet, but that is not
absolutely certain. And assuming that they are cometary, the amount of MnSi
is exceedingly small. I can't see any grounds for thinking it contributes
more than a trace amount of the total material. This is in contrast to CO2,
H2O, and other ices which have been observed to constitute a large fraction
of the total mass of an active comet. Those observations consist of direct
reflectance measurements of comet nucleuses, as well as of gases in the
comas and tails.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory