[meteorite-list] NASA Announces Comet Encounter News Conference

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:03:07 -0700

It is 100% certain that comets are not hot inside. Surface temperatures
depend in part on the emissivity of the material; these low albedo surfaces
might reach temperatures of a few tens of degree Celsius, if they are in a
passive area where you don't have evaporation carrying away heat.

I think you are misreading the report. The carbon dioxide jets are not being
driven by water vapor. Water vapor is seen in the jets of other comets. In
the case of Hartley 2, the jets are CO2, which are able to eject still
frozen water crystal aggregates. While some of these were of a centimeter
scale, they were extremely low mass, which is why they didn't damage the
spacecraft. They were the SIZE of hailstones, but not the DENSITY of
hailstones.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory