[meteorite-list] NASA Announces Comet Encounter News Conference

From: Bob King <nightsky55_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:45:21 -0600

Hi Carl and all,
I thought it was clear that the fluffy snow chunks were water ice.
They can determine composition of materials on and around the comet
with the infrared spectrometer aboard the probe. Water was discovered
a while back by ground-based telescopes in quite a number of comets.
Also, while some of the stuff spewing out is a few inches across,
there's probably a lot more that's tinier - everything from smoke-like
dust particles to tiny bits of snow. Perhaps something on this smaller
end of the scale struck the craft during its flyby.
A demonstration I use for my class is to take a piece of black coal,
turn off the lights and light it only by the beam from a small lamp to
simulate how a comet appears in space. You'd be surprised by how
brightly coal "shines" again the unlit background.
Comets were long ago found to not be hot. How could something the
interior of something that small (approx 1 mile long) on an orbit that
takes it beyond Jupiter remain warm for very long? Only the outer
surface is warmed by sunlight.
Regards,
Bob