[meteorite-list] NASA Announces Comet Encounter News Conference

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:09:25 -0500

Larry, Chris, All,
All due respect here but, Smoke is very fine dust.
To your point I must agree that the eraser example is perfect.
see link to latest info about Comet Hartley 2;

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/19/spacecraft-flies-past-snowstorm-comet/

According to this news. They are now saying that this stuff spewing out of these jets is "fluffy ice".
This seems to me to be a classic case of 'Manipulating the facts to fit their original hypothesis'?
They think comets are icy.
They claim that this material moving at 27,000 MPH did not cause damage to the craft because it is soft fluffy ice.
I don't know just how fluffy ice can be but golf ball to basketball size "fluffy ice" objects hitting something while moving that fast does not sound like fun.
Now on the other hand. If this is just smoke it is easier for me to understand why no damage was done to the craft when the craft flew through the debris left by the Comet..
So, it in deed seems to me that as Larry pointed out this stuff is not ice but is smoke. We don't have to force this result to fit any ice theory.
Further, in the pictures the jets appear to be everywhere. Not just at the tail end. And the reflected light appears to be illuminating parts of the surface equal to the brightness of the jets which would seem to indicate a highly reflective substance like metal.
To further this theoretical possibility. In the only gathering of actual comet dust they were able to determine that a metallic mineral Manganese / silicate was in fact spewed out of the comet. This was later named "Brownleeite" and is now considered to be a new mineral.
So, in Sum, this thing looks like it is spewing out smoke (very fine dust).
Isn't this possible? Why does it have to be Ice? Many objects out in space are fiery hot. Hot stuff is out there. Look no farther than our own Sun. Why according to NASA do comets have to be cold? These pictures are the only close -ups we have and they say. This is one hot chicken leg.
And the conclusion should not be forced. Let the facts speak for themselves. Sorry but, I think Ice is hard not fluffy. Especially at 27K miles per hour.
IMHO.
Carl