[meteorite-list] Barringer Meteor Crater

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:35:16 -0500

Patrick: Awesome pictures!

I've been to Meteor Crater several times and was always dissapointed that
you couldn't hike down into it. Nothing like the Monturaqui Crater, where
you can do burnouts and cut doughnuts with your SUV right in the crater
itself. Not to mention being allowed to camp and build fires on the crater
floor.

Phil Whitmer

------------------------

Hi Patrick,

Great shots. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Yes, that was back before our government (and many of the citizens)
became pussified. Getting to explore the crater is one of the many
things that became verboten after the grand pussification of our
country. ;)

Best regards,

MikeG

Going through some old slides I came across several I shot while exploring
Arizona's Meteor Crater in 1973.

I've heard that these days folks are not allowed to climb down into the
crater but back then (I'm guessing before lawyers got involved) visitors
were welcome to climb all over the thing so some of my shot were taken from
the bottom looking up.

http://users.wirelessbeehive.com/~paw/MCAPR73.HTML

patrick
N Utah