[meteorite-list] Meteorite casting.

From: Dieter Heinlein <dieter-heinlein_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:40:59 +0100

Hello Eric,

the building of silicon moulds and plaster casts, and especially the coloration
of the models is rather time consuming, therefore we have built such casts
only from very important meteorites, for example for unique meteorite pieces
from which many Museums ordered copies (like Neuschwanstein, Moravka
and Jesenice) or from very beautiful flight oriented specimens (like one of the
Villalbeto de la Pena meteorites).

The results were quite nice, as you can see with the Jesenice for example:
http://www.meteorites.homepage.t-online.de/jpg/castjesenice.jpg
http://www.meteorites.homepage.t-online.de/jpg/jesenice.jpg

For special pupose, we also manufactured a few of these ceramics casts with
a lead filling in order to get the genuine mass (proper weight) of the copy.

Best regards

Dieter