[meteorite-list] Dhofar 1575 Ureilite [Update]!! - AD

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:45:05 -0500

Dear List Members,

UPDATE ~ Dhofar 1575 Ureilite:
Slices: Only 5 polished slices left at $15.00/g
Fragments: Only 5 cut fragments left at $8.00/g
* See below for list of available specimens.

Last month I announced a NEW Ureilite, Dhofar 1575. As we all know ureilites
are very difficult to cut and polish due to the numerous nano diamonds in
the matrix and most people do not invest the money or time into offering
polished
slices, it is simply not cost effective. Well, I have put the investment
into having this ureilite cut and polished and wish to offer collectors this
rare chance to include a world-class slice at a VERY competitive rate! I was
lucky enough to acquire 25% of this new ureilite and hired one of the best
cutters out there to prepare this material, which was not cheap! He liked
this material so much he acquired a slice for his own collection! The
majority of this meteorite is in a private collection and very likely will
never be made available to collectors. Submitted classification is below the
list of specimens in this email.

Taking decent photographs of this highly polished material was a real
challenge and my images do not do the material justice. The slices are far
better looking in person, displaying the wall-to-wall olivine crystals in a
dazzling array which is a wonder under a microscope or 10x loupe!

Here is all that I have available of Dhofar 1575 Ureilite (Provisional):

38.44g part slice
73mm x 69mm x 2.5mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/Dhofar1575/dsc00003.jpg
34.71g part slice
74mm x 70mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/Dhofar1575/dsc00004.jpg
31.23g part slice
70mm x 56mm x 3mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/Dhofar1575/dsc00005.jpg
28.31g part slice
68mm x 59mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/Dhofar1575/dsc00007.jpg
27.53g part slice
69mm x 60mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/Dhofar1575/dsc00008.jpg
122.1g cut fragment
55mm x 50mm x 27mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/Dhofar1575/dsc00013.jpg
71.7g cut fragment
49mm x 33mm x 14mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/Dhofar1575/dsc00017.jpg
65.6g cut fragment
48mm x 38mm x 17mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/Dhofar1575/dsc00015.jpg
13.5g cut fragment
40mm x 13mm x 10mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/Dhofar1575/dsc00019.jpg
12.2g cut fragment
39mm x 22mm x 10mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/Dhofar1575/dsc00020.jpg

PRICING: (Ureilites normally sell for $30.00-50.00/g, if you can find
sizable prepared slices!)
Polished slices - $15.00/g
Fragments - $8.00/g

Submitted classification for Dhofar 1575:
Fresh, coarse grained aggregate of olivine and pigeonite (both exhibiting
characteristic dark, reduced grain rims) with accessory graphite, and
Ni-free iron metal along silicate grain margins. Olivine (cores Fa21.5,
FeO/MnO = 45.5; rim Fa3.6; FeO/MnO = 7.2), pigeonite (cores
Fs17.7-17.8Wo6.0-5.8; FeO/MnO = 27.7). TKW: 4.7kg (2 stones; 1001g ASU
 Collection, ~2.7kg Private Collection)

Thank you for considering a piece of Dhofar 1575 for your collection!

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection