[meteorite-list] CanGas de Onís Fall of 1866

From: Leoncio Cividanes Álvarez <supeindesu_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:45:04 +0100

(Forgot to use plain text) Here it is the translation (hope it's clear, my english is as rusty as some of my meteorites +_+). Sounds quite naive to me.

Description and analysis of the aeroliths that fell in the district of Cangas de On?s (Asturias) on December 6, 1806, by Mr. Jos? Ram?n de Luanco.

(Session of March 4, 1874)

Would be half past ten in the morning, more or less, of December 6, 1866, when the inhabitants of the town of Cangas de On?s, in Asturias, and the surrounding villages within a radius of 2-4 km, heard a strange noise like a locomotive, which, filling ones with surprise and others with horror, everybodies eyes moved towards the sky, where the noise came. The atmosphere was clear and serene, the sun shone in all its brilliance, and only from the northern part it could see the rapidly moving ahead with a whitish cloud, which soon faded throwing sparks, which fell on the ground as aeroliths.

The time at which the phenomenon appeared, the unanimous declaration of the many eye-witnesses, whose veracity is beyond question, and the immediate finding of meteoric stones, some still warm, are irrefutable evidence that save other testimony, however, it will find them the one who want it in the proof, due to well-known people, which are added at the end of this report. Also newspapers from Oviedo and Madrid, and then no one doubted its accuracy.

After the news of what had happened, Mr. D. Leon Salmen, rector of the University of Oviedo, wrote to his friends, Mr. Antonio Cortes, Mr. Jos?, and Mr. Manuel Gonz?lez Rug?n, pharmacist the last one, neighbors all of them of Cangas de On?s, and these men answered the questions addressed to them in terms that express the letters included in the appendix, while they sent the remarkable fragments of the aerolith, preserved today in the Cabinet of Natural History at the University, reproduced in Plate IX drawn by Mr. Romea, professor at the School of Fine Arts in Oviedo.

Helpful here would be to record meteorological data in the region covered by the bolide, which to everyone seemed very large, to the point of suspecting to some that could reached the adjoining province of Santander, but since it is not possible, we'll supply this need by making following comments made that day in Oviedo by Professor of Physics, Mr. Jos? Ceruelo.

Clear skies,
Leo