[meteorite-list] Mojave Green Jeans - Images of a Killer Snake

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 16:34:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi Eric and Listees,

Access Google search for "Ten Deadliest Snakes" or "Most Dangerous Snakes" and you will find the Mohave Green listed and its venom compared in lethality to the other vipers. Thats where i gost the quote on comparison to the common Cobra on a volume basis.

I am not a physician and any comments I make about snake bites and their treatment are obtained from what I feel are reliable sources, but I caution all readers to speak to their health care provider for verification and advice.

CroFab is the usual anti-venom for this family of North American "rattlesnake" vipers. It is affective against the Mohave's venom although the Mohave can change the mix of components from bite to bite! CroFab is expensive and does not store well. Initial dosage is 4/6 vials. Followed in most cases with 4 more. The protocol for determining and administering the dosage and the amelioration of side effects is complicated and must be done in a hospital setting. Other agents are administered with this anti-venom. You need to be able to place a sodium chloride IV and maintain an airway surgically. Here is the protocol:

http://www.hosp.uky.edu/Pharmacy/formulary/criteria/Crotalidae_Polyvalent_Antivenin_Protocol.pdf

CroFab is derived from sheep products. No horse serum is used in it's manufacture. It contains a significant amount of assimilated Mercury. People allergic to papaya and pineapple enzymes should not be dosed. A Snake Bite Symptom Scoring System table is used to determine the dosage and maintenance.

So, you can forget about treating in the field with an anti-venom unless accompanied by a stocked ambulance and a physician experienced in treating envenomations.

The ten point schedule for the remote field treatment of snake bite was taught to me in military survival training and also learned over the years from my fellow desert dwellers here in the Mohave, including several who had survived a bite hours from professional help.

Some "experts" criticize aspects of the protocol (such as the effect of the ammonia and other enzymes in human urine) as of minor efficacy, maybe reducing envenomation by less than 10%. I say that the 10% might just be the borderline between living and dying. Using it can't hurt as long as your not stupid enough to cut the blood flow to a limb, or freeze it.

Watch where you put your hands and feet and don't walk close to creosote bushes...day or night.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536