[meteorite-list] Mojave Green Jeans - Images of a Killer Snake

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:34:58 -0800 (PST)

Dear List Members,

Just a note to warn meteorite hunters not to be too complacent.

The most feared creature here in the Southwest is the Mojave Green Rattlesnake
and rightfully so considering its venom is 75 times more deadly than that of a
Cobra. You got about 1/2 hour to get anti-venom and if you survive a bite from
this fellow, you can count on around a $60,000.00 hospital bill. They come out
in the fall and you are most likely to run into one in the morning warming
itself in the sun. They hide in and around creosote bushes which are
everywhere.

I see people listening to I Pods or wearing metal detector headphones while
searching for meteorites, oblivious to their surroundings. The only warning we
got when we ran into this deadly snake was the shaking of its rattles. I have
heard Western Diamondbacks before and their rattle is much louder than the
Mojave Green. I had a lot more confidence searching with knee high Kevlar
snake boots until we ran into this fellow. The snake we ran into was up in the
bush waist high before it dropped to the ground and took up a strike posture.

We nicked named this large and fat, 4 foot plus snake "Mojave Green Jeans"
Luckily, I had an image stabilizer on my camera. I may have been shaking more
than the snake. The closer I got to it, the quicker the rattle shook. At one
point, it sounded like a constant whoosh instead of a rattle. I would back off
to about 6 feet away from it and then it would go silent for a while so I don't
think they give you much warning. Just two weeks ago, we ran into a snake we
were unable to identify which struck out at my brother in laws magnetic cane.
It was also hidden in a bush. It wasn't a rattler but had some pretty wild
looking checker board pattern.

Meet Mojave Green Jeans:
http://themeteoritesite.com/AMojaveGreen-a.jpg

I Counted 11 Rattles, A Very Mature Snake:
http://themeteoritesite.com/AMojaveGreen-b.jpg

Side View:
http://themeteoritesite.com/AMojaveGreen-c.jpg

The Business End - Poised To Strike: