[meteorite-list] Thin section boxes

From: Chris Spratt <cspratt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:44:10 -0800

Hi Listers:

Over my many years, I've found that the thin section boxes used for
microscope slides, will not take petrological or meteorite thin section
slides, as those slides are slightly larger. On the other hand, I've
sometimes seen botany slides the same size as geological slides. Also
the regular botany slides are slightly thinner and can break more
easily. I picked up at a local garage sale a microscope slide storage
box. Took it home and found my meteorite thin section slides were too
large.

Also many years ago I was looking around an antique store and came
across a freestanding cabinet which was designed to take botany slides
etc. Went home brought back a microscope blank slide and a precious thin
section.
The meteorite TS was too big. The microscope slide was a perfect fit. In
any case, the unit was very pricey so I never bought it.

As stated before, I recently acquired a meteorite thin section mounted
slide, which is larger than any type of slide I've ever seen.

Maybe a cabinet maker could turn out a nice box.

Chris. Spratt
Victoria, BC