[meteorite-list] Using a chemical marker/catalyst to locate meteorites

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 16:22:22 -0500

Hello veteran hunters and meteorite sages,

This suggestion is born of whimsy, so take it with a grain of salt.
But, I also want it to be weighed seriously, because I think there may
be a tiny chance that something of this nature could be feasible.

Let's assume you have a very large area that contains weathered
meteorites that are difficult to see, or the area also contains native
rocks that resemble meteorites and make hunting painful. So one has
to cover a lot of ground and one is looking for meteorites that do not
stand out against the background.

Would it be possible to fly over the area with a crop-duster type of
aircraft and spray the ground with some sort of compound that would
react in the presence of trace amounts of iron (or nickel) - the
compound would turn bright neon green or red when in the presence of
iron/nickel, and remain colorless on other rocks and the soil. This
would make any meteorites on the surface stand out like the proverbial
sore thumb to visual searchers.

To be practical and responsible, the compound would have to be
non-toxic and biodegradeable. Ideally, it would not contaminate the
specimen to any significant degree and would not penetrate deeply into
the specimen.

Is that something that could be done, or is that complete silliness?

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Meteorite Top List - http://meteorite.gotop100.com