[meteorite-list] Pros at Work II

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:37:39 -0500

Hi Martin,

I did sound flip towards the effort they are making, and I should be
more appreciative that this kind of work is being done. It's not
cheap or easy to implement a scientific network to provide meaningful
data and finds. I genuinely wish the Australians the best of luck
with their efforts to record and recover these meteorites. I'm glad
somebody is out there doing it in some official or scientific
capacity. Perhaps if they make a huge success, like a new lunar or
martian, then they can expand and envigorate their efforts further.

What we see in the US is the best and worst of motivations surrounding
new falls. For the most part, I think the private hunters based in
the US conduct themselves with professionalism and their efforts are
fruitful for both science and the individual. There are exceptions,
but one cannot argue with results. For example, Ash Creek became
something of a circus, but the yield in stones was rewarding.
Everyone got enough Ash Creek to fulfill demand.

The scientists got their samples, the hunters scored numerous finds,
the landowners made money (and stones), local businesses profited from
the influx of "meteorite tourists/hunters", a dog made a find, hammer
collectors got something to cheer for, and despite the occasional
ruckus caused by overzealous hunters (or gun-toting landowners), the
strewnfield was accurately mapped, the finds were documented, and
science came out a winner without being compromised in any way by
private participation in the effort.

Look how many hunters, would-be hunters, and gawkers descended on Ash
Creek! Without the promise of keeping a find or being able to sell
some of a find (to profit or to help offset considerable expenses),
the available manpower would have been much lower, the yield of finds
would have been smaller, and many stones would be lost and buried to
rot.

Australia could have it's cake and eat it also. Their official effort
is to be supported, but they should also embrace responsible
participation by private parties who can expect to be compensated in
some way for their own expenses and efforts. In such a scenario, the
official program could recruit additional private manpower, to
increase the boots on the ground and the number of finds. Everyone
could win and these constricting restrictions (say that 10 times
fast!) are not necessary.

Martin, as you have eloquently explained numerous times in the past,
the Australian model of meteorite laws is counter-productive in all
ways. The Australians have a giant landmass to cover and they should
enlist all the good help they can get.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com