[meteorite-list] AD Auctions and 86 kilogram Lot (189 lbs)

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:45:28 -0800 (PST)

Dear List Members,

I have 54 no reserve auctions ending today, all started at just 99 cents. I
loaded some larger planetary pieces because I have not run auctions for a couple
of weeks while trying to organize.

Link to all auctions:
http://shop.ebay.com/raremeteorites!/m.html

Speaking of organizing, I pulled 85,925 grams (189 lbs) of meteorites out of
storage yesterday. I do not have time to process them since I am trying to ween
myself off of eBay and my shop is in complete disarray as can be seen in the
images below. I will make them all available at once if somebody is interested.
If not, I will run them on eBay one at a time because I need the room. They
have not been cleaned and are as found from the field. This massive stockpile
represents what one would typically expect to find if searching for themselves.
Most are probably ordinary chondrites ranging from weathering level 2 to 4.
This was the last set I brought back from Morocco. They are not of the highest
visual quality but some of the least aesthetic stones turn out to be real
rarities. The only way to find out is by cutting them. Big stockpiles like this
are a thing of the past. The last two piles I saw in Tuscon last year were
wholesaling at 12 cents/gram. I paid 5.5 cents/gram for these years ago. I
figure my real costs with shipping them twice and paying storage is somewhere
over 7 cents/gram. I will let them go for less than 6.9/cents a gram if
purchased all at once. This amounts to $5,900.00 and I will cover shipping, a
savings of several hundred more dollars. I do not have several hundred hours
of time to invest in cutting, preparation and classification. I would rather
spend my time in the field.

Think about it, just one rare piece could pay for the entire lot or they could
be sold individually for 20 plus cents a gram if you have the time.

Image of 89,925 grams of genuine meteorites:
http://themeteoritesite.com/ALotImageA.jpg

Close up 21,565 grams of 36 individuals ranging from 45 grams to 1,905 grams:
http://themeteoritesite.com/ALotImageB.jpg

Close up of 64 individually weighed 1 kilogram lots:
http://themeteoritesite.com/ALotImageC.jpg

Reasons for selling, I need the room!

Embarrassingly messy garage, no room to move:
http://themeteoritesite.com/AMessyStorage.jpg

Yes I thought I had a quad for meteorite hunting, can you find it?
http://themeteoritesite.com/AHiddenQuad1.jpg

Here it is, unused because it was buried and I have not been able to find the
time:
http://themeteoritesite.com/AHiddenQuad.jpg

Meteorite preparation equipment, not yet unpacked after two years:
http://themeteoritesite.com/AUnpackedCuttingArea.jpg

Thank you for looking and if you are bidding, good luck.

Best Regards,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185