[meteorite-list] Battle of the Smithsonian

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 12:10:51 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah Right.... Actually they don't belong to the National Museum they are the
"custodians". BUT they are rather arrogant since the change over in
administration and not motivated to establish a program. IN fact thye seem to
hate the red tape potentials as much as any other bureaucratic organization

I found a rather interestingly shaped meteorite on Government property and tried
for over 15 years to get it recovered. The Smithsonian told me they would not
sponsor nor assist however as soon as I had recovered at my own expense, it I
would have to send it to them at my own expense. The Department of Defense does
not believe the Smithsonian has jurisdiction to material recovered on DOD
lands. Nor do they have a operational plan for when meteorites fall on their
property. Remember the fireballs over Ft Carson in Colorado and Dugway Proving
grounds?

I tried to get The Univ of Arizona interested in sponsoring as I had no legal
standing and I was essentially told I was "mistaken on my identity" and they
referred me to the Smithsonian.

So then I thought I'd have to just prove them wrong and started action with the
Department of Defense Installation where the stone was sitting. I had to travel
at my own expense to show range personnel the stone but we could not recover it
until they funded and completed an environmental impact statement which was no
guarantee it would not be pilfered or that they would even recover the stone.

If the stone ever shows up I will recognize it as it is delta shaped and
oriented.

Elton

 PS: NASA Office of Meteors will not discuss it nor return emails or phone
calls--I must assume that they would see coordinating such a public effort as
yet another unfunded mandate.