[meteorite-list] Secret BLM maps battle of the Smithsonian

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 09:59:46 -0600

It's more complicated than this. The guidelines we follow at the Denver
Museum of Nature and Science when hunting for meteorites are like this:

1. All rocks, meteorites, artifacts, etc found on public land belong to the
government. There is no individual right to take anything, but different
land administration agencies can choose to allow collection, usually with
specific guidelines.

2. In the case of public lands, who you seek permission from depends on the
administering agency. Meteorites on BLM land are not automatically claimed
by the Smithsonian, but meteorites on National Forest or National Park land
are. If searching on BLM land (which is Dept of the Interior) you can seek
permission from the local BLM office, which generally has a lot of
discretion. When seeking on National Forest or National Park land, you can
again seek permission from the local administrator (not from the
Smithsonian), but they usually have little discretion. The Museum can
usually get permission; private parties usually not. If you are searching on
state lands, you have to get permission from the state administrator, and
they usually have no policy at all, and everything will depend on who you
talk to and what kind of day they are having.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com