[meteorite-list] EPOXI images of Comet Hartley 2

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 19:17:44 -0500

Re: the effects of outgassing jets on a comet's orbit.

Fred Whipple was the first to work out how the
dynamic effects of outgassing ("jets") affected the orbit
of a comet, right after he proposed the "icy snowball"
model of comets (replacing the XIXth century "flying
gravel bank" model, which today is the "rubble pile"
model).

I can't find his paper on it, but I recall that he first
applied it successfully to the irregularities in the
orbit of Cemet Enke, for which the position of the
biggest "jet" observed at that time was known).

Whipple's general idea can be found here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Fo-GY4J1h4cC&pg=PA242&lpg=PA242&dq=whipple+comet+jets&source=bl&ots=qOBQ9JRGUk&sig=nvwqERqQ_16nU0J76zG4uKnS00A&hl=en&ei=W0nTTLiRCof0sgarl7j6DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=whipple%20comet%20jets&f=false
on page 242.

Sterling K. Webb