[meteorite-list] BLM and Forest Service Maps...

From: Chris Spratt <cspratt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:54:46 -0700

I would suggest that you have a pair of binoculars and a well thumbed
bird guide book with you. Tell the wardens or
whomever you meet that you are birdwatching. Birds are everywhere even
in the desert (look up). A few years I got stopped by Border Patrol
along the California/ Mexico border. I told them I was birdwatching
(which I was) and that was it. They wished me luck and departed - no
lecture or admonishments. I could see the high black fence marking the
border so I knew I was close to a "sensitive area". I once "birded" a
county road in California (Calipatria area) where there was a small
pond/moat by a prison and nothing was done. Lots of ducks. I always
keep any eye open for "funny rocks" but my other aim is birdwatching. If
you look like you are "hunting for artifacts" then you could be
questioned. As for maps try bookstores dealing in old books,maps etc.

Chris. Spratt
Victoria, BC