[meteorite-list] BLM and Forest Service Maps...

From: michael cottingham <voyagebotanica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 11:40:17 -0600

Hello,
I live with the Gila National Forest starting in my backyard and know very well the policies the Forest Service and BLM use in map revising. Starting about 30 years ago all government agencies were directed to delete every archeological and historical site OFF the maps where ever possible. Old trails going to cliff dwellings and archeological sites were left off the maps starting in the late 70's. Trails were rerouted away from sites as well. Looting and mindless destruction of these sites were the reasons.
One way to find these sites is to find OLD Forest Service maps from the 1940's to the 1960's. I collect these old maps for my area and it is unbelievable what has been left out. In one map alone...when comparing to a modern map, over 300 archeological sites have been omitted! I am not saying this is bad....and since the world has changed in a lot of bad ways.... it makes since.

Best Wishes
Michael Cottinghamhttp://stores.ebay.com/voyage-botanica-natural-history