[meteorite-list] Don t skip looking at this!

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 08:15:14 -0700 (PDT)

Could nt it be like a solar pool game where one piece for some reason is impacted from behind changing its direction? I saw this happen in a fall that landed near Denver a few yeas back. As the meteorite entered the upper atmosphere it broke into 3 pieces at first they seperated in a line but when the forward most piece hit the more solid air is slowed rapidly leaving a wake of thinner air behind it. This caused the second piece to catch up to the first and impact with it knocking it down. When the third piece caught up with the second it glanced off at about a 60 degree angle upward and went back into space. The 2nd piece also continued on in space. Only the first piece fell to earth. It was an awesome sight to see. Wish a piece of it was found! By my best figures it landed somewhere about 18 miles northwest of Denver near a lake. Plus or minus 3 miles. Thats a lot of rough ground to search.