[meteorite-list] Mars Odyssey THEMIS Images: ET?

From: Brian Cox <searchingforfun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 00:01:06 -0500

Darren and James,

With all due respect, and I'm not picking sides here or trying to get in
between either of you nor to correct anyone, but the article that Darren
quoted from on books sales is an article by Robyn Jackson, from Copyright
2003............ Seven years ago. I thought the facts were rather odd and
out of date, since no one listens to 3 hours of radio anymore, not even old
me with my oldies, since everyone is on their ipod. If I see someone with a
CD player attached to their arm it's only because they're running along the
lake, and most have switched to ipods, and most people barely watch 4 hours
of TV anymore. It didn't give any stats on computer use since 7 years ago
not everyone had one.

The article from University of Dayton: Erma Bombeck's Writer's Workshop, is
sorely outdated, since Erma, rest her soul has been "Dead" since April 22,
1996.................................

I'm sure the book stats have changed, but with the computer and internet,
which that ancient 2003 article Didn't even mention is where most people get
their news these days (I haven't bought a newspaper in two years) and people
read more online or with their kindle or their ipad than a real book. Then
Darren's point is valid that books just don't sell like they used to unless
someone is lying on a beach on vacation or takes one into a restaurant or
coffee shop or on the train or bus going to work. Believe me, I live in
downtown Chicago and I get a warm soft spot in my heart when I actually see
someone with a book going to work or someplace. I love the smell of a book,
nothing like that, brings back grade school, simpler times I guess. Everyone
else is on their iphone or Crackberry reading, texting and web surfing.

Don't feel bad Darren, you were making a good point, and James, don't give
up, there are ebooks and you may try that route with your book through an
online publisher.

I wish you both the best.

Brian