[meteorite-list] meteorite magnetism contamination

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:45:39 EDT

The discussion about the concerns of meteorite contamination while cutting
has jiggled a little bell. A few months ago I was talking with Rainer Arlt
about meteorites and he mentioned that he was involved with a project that
measured residual magnetism contained in fresh meteorites. I'm not sure
what that information would tell you, but he was concerned about meteorite
hunters sticking a magnet to a meteorite for testing and mess this
information up. The residual magnetism from a magnet would leave a residual presence
within the meteorite as well.
GeoZay