[meteorite-list] Contamination during cutting - what impact does it have on analysis?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:44:14 -0400

Hi List,

I was wondering, while waiting for some freshly-sliced meteorites to
cool in the oven, what kind of contaminants does cutting add to the
meteorite? I am very careful and I only use distilled water as a
coolant - to prevent chlorine contamination of the specimens. But I
am sure that distilled water alters the specimens in some ways. Also,
I use a diamond-coated blade during cutting, so might this impart some
tiny diamond particles into the meteorite matrix?

Let's assume an unclassified meteorite is sliced for classification -
if the analysis detects diamond, is it easy to discern if the diamond
was present prior to cutting or is it a contaminant from the cutting
blade?

On a molecular level, I assume that stainless steel is shed from the
blade as well. Could this throw off elemental metal results? Besides
cutting, consumer polishing also imparts particles from the sandpaper,
buffing compound, rouge, or whatever else is used.

I would imagine that NASA would use a sterile cutting tool and
environment, but most meteorite collectors and dealers don't. So what
exactly is in the prepared meteorite specimen you receive?

Best regards,

MikeG