[meteorite-list] To polish or not to polish The WisconsinMeteorite?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 11:36:51 +0200

Hi there,

I'd say, one simply has to try it out with a slice, whether it looks better
polished or not and up to which grit.
Some meteorites gain and some loose contrast.

Other thing is for what purposes the slices will be used.
Collectors, who like to examine their slices under the microscope, need a
good finish. Cut marks and scratches disturb the view, cutting dust left in
small cavities too and on that small scale a high polish will reveal more
details.
There the best compromise is, I guess, to polish one side of the slice and
to leave the other unpolished. One side for the microscope, one side for the
showcase. :-)

Btw. a slice having lost its contrast by polishing isn't destroyed.
Just rough it up again and the contrast comes back.

Best!
Martin

On 5/15/2010 12:47 PM, Warren Sansoucie wrote:
> Hello List - Michael,
>
> I have to agree. I don't polish any stones. I prefer to lap them down to
3,000 grit and stop. You really do lose a lot of visual just for the sake of
a shine when you polish. Plus some people seem to actually alter the look
altogether when they overheat the polished face.

> That's just how I like it though, I'm sure others have different likes.
>
> Warren Sansoucie

>> From: voyagebotanica at hotmail.com
>> To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
>> Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 13:37:25 -0600
>> Subject: [meteorite-list] To polish or not to polish The Wisconsin
Meteorite?

>> Hello,
>> I am starting to see specimens of The Wisconsin Meteorite appear on the
market that have been polished. Although, people are free to do as they
please, they should not feel obligated to polish these slices just because
people expect a meteorite slice to be polished.
>> In the case of this new fall from Wisconsin it is in my opinion that the
brecciation, clasts and internal features are best seen in unpolished
slices. I have noticed the ones that have been on ebay and that are
polished...they have a washed look to them and in some cases all the
brecciation has been washed away.
>> It is a fantastic looking meteorite left in an unpolished state.
>> After years of cutting and polishing, I have noticed every meteorite has
a place to stop at (when polishing) that works best and to proceed further
just because you think you have to go through all the grits is just plain
nonsense.
>> Anyway, I believe the Wisconsin specimens are best left unpolished.
However, please feel free to prepare them anyway you see fit.