[meteorite-list] To polish or not to polish The Wisconsin Meteorite?

From: michael cottingham <voyagebotanica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 13:37:25 -0600

Hello,
I am starting to see specimens of The Wisconsin Meteorite appear on the market that have been polished. Although, people are free to do as they please, they should not feel obligated to polish these slices just because people expect a meteorite slice to be polished.
In the case of this new fall from Wisconsin it is in my opinion that the brecciation, clasts ?and internal features are best seen in unpolished slices. I have noticed the ones that have been on ebay and that are polished...they have a washed look to them and in some cases all the brecciation has been washed away.
It is a fantastic looking meteorite left in an unpolished state.
After years of cutting and polishing, I have noticed every meteorite has a place to stop at (when polishing) that works best and to proceed further just because you think you have to go through all the grits is just plain nonsense.
Anyway, I believe the Wisconsin specimens are best left unpolished. However, please feel free to prepare them anyway you see fit.?
Best Wishes
Michael Cottingham