[meteorite-list] WI Meteorite Name?

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 19:06:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers,

Here is my guess from the Livingston WI meteorite fall. I would say it might be a H4 breccia meteorite. What I have noticed from the samples is that there are two distinctive colors from the?matrix within the meteorite. On one side the matrix is a medium gray and on the other side the matrix is a light tan to almost off white color depending on the lighting conditions.

Lets talk about the dark matrix side first. What I noticed is that the chondrules on this side seem to be more defined and prevalent through out the matrix. The visibility of the iron through the matrix seem uniform in a?equilibrated state. When I ran a?magnet on that side, the pull seemed good but not as strong as I would like if it would be?with a?H classification meteorite, but I think that the gray matrix seems to be less included with iron as opposed to the light tan colored matrix.

What I noticed with the light tan matrix is that the chondrules are less visible due to the color of the matrix, but I did notice that there were dark colored chondrules through out the matrix. Also what I noticed about the light tan side is that the iron to chondrule ratio seemed to be higher on the iron side. However, the iron displacement through out the matrix seemed to be less equilibrated compared to the gray matrix side where it was more uniformed throughout the matrix but the iron was more abundent.

This can be further seen at this link from my flicker account http://www.flickr.com/photos/48262799 at N03/4594050372/ At close inspection of the meteorite in the lower left part of the meteorite is a big iron chunk and when I took a magnet to that side I got a very strong pull to it, which felt somewhat like an iron meteorite?would feel like. It seems to me from doing these elementary observations and experiments that the light tan side seems to have more iron then the gray side which could suggest that this meteorite is definitely a brecciated meteorite.

I wonder if this meteorite could be classified as a H/L 4 breccia meteorite?

Shawn Alan
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

?
[meteorite-list] WI Meteorite Name?
Joe Kerchner skyrockmeteorites at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 20:37:28 EDT 2010

I was told by a guy who has been involved, in sorts, in some of the classification that it is not an H, he said that was all he can tell me. Maybe that helps. I cant say who he is, but I can say I do believe what he said. I thought it was an H, then he promised me its not an H, so now I dont know, probably an L5 or L6 equalibriated breccia.
When it has been published I will get some good documentation on the classification.

Best Wishes,
Joe Kerchner
http://illinoismeteorites.com
http://skyrockcafe.com