[meteorite-list] WI Meteorite Hunting Statistics

From: star_wars_collector at yahoo.com <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 01:28:35 +0000

I agree with a good deal of what johnno says.
I would also like to offer this thought as a collector...
We all know there is cost, I don't like the fact that ways we get by with the IRS is being used as guidelines to get by on collectors.

We break everything down to the IRS to get more money back. When that same exact set of rules is used for pricing meteorites, collectors who see this will buy elsewhere.

Collectors are not the IRS. To see us/them and meteorites associated with such things is not good and goes to show what I see as a recent trend to use commodity based and other ways to make high prices seem legitimate.

At $100 per gram, a 80g stone after cutting will bring about$7000.00
Cost in the field if you buy it, $2-$10 per gram that's makes a profit of about $6200 on just 70g of material.

That's just 70g. If you get only that in one week, you have done VERY WELL.

To go a step further, use johns numbers to get what you do in profit after one weeks cost for a total of about $4000 profit. That's IF you make $50 an hour.

Just my thoughts and numbers.

Greg

Sent on the Sprint? Now Network from my BlackBerry?