[meteorite-list] WI Meteorite Hunting Statistics

From: Bob Loeffler <bobl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 13:42:55 -0600

I disagree. Entertainment and food should NOT be counted as field expenses.
As Ryan mentioned, you have to eat food no matter whether you are out
collecting meteorites or staying at home watching TV. I would understand a
*percentage* of food costs should be allowed because the cost of food in
some areas will be higher than normal, but I don't know what a "good"
percentage would be.

As for entertainment, that should not be allowed because that could skew
your numbers drastically. For example, if Geoff, Steve #1 Arnold, Ruben,
etc go to a nudie bar and drink shots of alcohol, the total bill could run
into the hundreds or thousands of $$$ (hahaha) and that shouldn't be
included since they could do all of that in Tucson. That's an extreme
example, but I know that there is always at least one "get together" on
these types of field trips. Only expenses that are in addition to what you
would normally have from your daily lives should be included.

You (Eric) are the one who is compiling this list, so you make the rules,
but I (and many others) won't believe the results if you include stuff like
that. When I go on a trip for my company, they want all receipts and an
expense report and then they go through each item one by one to see what
they will reimburse me for and what they won't. Most entertainment expenses
are NOT reimbursed because the Federal government has rules and regulations
that companies have to abide by.

Regards,

Bob